This post is part of a series in which we examine Jeju Island in the 1950s and 1960s as seen through the lens of photographer Kim Hong-in (1925-2004). These images were compiled by Jeju City Hall for an exhibition titled “The Way Jeju Was: Pictures of the Past.” Jeju World Wide has received permission from City Hall to republish a selection of these photographs to give our readers a glimpse into the island’s history, but please note that they are not to be reused or published in any form. Thank you. — Ed.

 

Photo provided by Jeju City Hall. Reproduction of this photo in any form is prohibited.

The view southward from Samseonghyeol (mythical site of the origin of the three clans which formed the Tamna kingdom of Jeju Island) of a Jeju City municipal government building built in 1952. At the time the photo was taken in the 1950s, it was the Jeju Provincial Government Building. It is now Jeju City Hall. Photo provided by Jeju City Hall. Reproduction of this photo in any form is prohibited.
삼성혈에서 바라본 제주시청 청사 : 1950년대에 삼성혈에서 바라본 제주시청 건물로, 당시에는 제주도청의 청사였다.